REDMOND WETLANDS PROJECT FOCUSES ON COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
A key priority of the Redmond Wetlands Project is to collaborate with community-based organizations, residents, educators, and businesses, to understand how they envision utilizing the Wetlands Complex.
Several key priorities have been identified through community-based input during the preliminary design phase:
- Interpretation and Education
- Provide learning opportunities for school classes, park programs and lifelong learners
- Develop interpretive themes and framework for sharing the history, geology, wildlife and unique features of the area
- Establish set hours and closures
- Preservation and protection of natural resources
- Identify unique or special natural areas for preservation or restoration
- Design elements that minimize adverse impacts to natural areas or resources identified for preservation
- Identify opportunities for community members to volunteer
The City is underway with the preliminary design phase of the development of the Redmond Wetlands Complex. The final design is expected to be completed in 2023, with construction beginning later that year.
SPOTLIGHT ON TRAILS WITH PUBLIC ACCESS
The overall site layout, architectural features, and public access areas will be designed to complement and incorporate the natural landscape as much as possible while still being cost-effective.
The Wetlands Complex will protect the area’s natural beauty while providing access to open space. The Open space will encourage friends, families, and communities to interact with each other and nature while also providing a venue for physical activities such as walking, jogging, and running.
Education and Interpretation
The City is interested in creating unique opportunities for community members and students to gain hands-on practical experience at the Wetlands Project. It is a planning priority to ensure that students have access to the site and the educational opportunities it holds. By immersing students in the geology, history, and ecology of the region and having them participate in nature-based education, the City hopes to instill a sense of stewardship in the next generation.
Learn more at www.redmondwetlandscomplex.com
The City welcomes the opportunity to speak to local civic, philanthropic, or professional organizations about the Wetlands Project. Email the project team to schedule a presentation: